2017 Special Election Runoff Candidates
Two Candidates Left
Jon Ossoff and Karen Handel
The Special Election for Tom Price’s Seat is now down to two candidates – Jon Ossoff and Karen Handel.
The primary provided critical quantitative data on the mode of the Nation, post Trump. A Liberal, Jon Ossoff, and an “Establishment” Conservative, Karen Handel, won. Karen Handel is not a strong Trump supporter. We conclude this means Trump is a net negative in the voting of our district since none of the pro-Trump candidates did very well.
Conservatives are still favored to hold the seat, but now that we are down to only two candidates, Liberals will make Trump the main issue. Karen Handle will have to argue that even through Trump is a “narcissistic fascist” he is their “narcissistic fascist” and so she will have to support him, or risk losing the Trump supporters. Of course if she supports Trump too much she could lose the moderates.
(Click on the name below to go to the Candidates Page to get more information about them and their platform.)
Because of “Selective Perception,” “Motivated Reasoning,” and “Confirmation Bias,” we tend to see what we want to see.
That is why you need to try to see things from the other person’s viewpoint before you try to describe their views.
As the graphic to the left suggests, it’s impossible to present an unbiased view of a parties or candidate’s platform. The Party and Candidate will always spin the words of their platform to highlight the positives and ignore the negatives.
This Learning Community will continue to try to figure out how to represent the candidate’s platforms in a way that is actionable for the community.
If you have any ideas how best to do this let please join our learning community and add your voice to finding the solutions.
Platforms As Seen by a Karen Handel
How We Would Think Karen Handel sees the Conservative Platform
Government cannot create prosperity, though government can limit or destroy it. Prosperity is the product of self-discipline, enterprise, saving and investment by individuals, but it is not an end in itself. Prosperity provides the means by which citizens and their families can maintain their independence from government, raise their children by their own values, practice their faith, and build communities of cooperation and mutual respect. It is also the foundation for our nation’s global leadership, for it is the vigor of our economy which makes possible our military strength and our national security. (Source – GOP 2016 Platform PDF)
2017 is critical for America’s future. All the values you care about — free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense — are at risk. Especially now as we reclaim America after eight years of unworkable, unsustainable liberal plans. (Source – Heritage Foundation)
How We Would Think Karen Handel sees the Progressive Platform
Tax and Spend, give out participation medals for just showing up, crybabies (snowflakes), anti-Christian, Anti-white, Pro-big government at the expensive of small business, wants to kill the unborn because they are evil people, don’t listen to facts.
Platforms As Seen by Jon Ossoff
How we would think Jon Ossoff sees the Conservative Platform
Enrich the 1% at the expense of everyone else. Still fighting the US Civil War is not over (the South will not admit the Civil war was about slavery.) Protect the unborn but not the born. Want’s a Christian Theocracy. Believes Blacks are not, on average, as intelligent, as whites and it is time we start to publicly admit it.
How we would think Jon Ossoff sees the Progressive Platform
Too many Americans have been left out and left behind. They are working longer hours with less security. Wages have barely budged and the racial wealth gap remains wide, while the cost of everything from childcare to a college education has continued to rise. And for too many families, the dream of homeownership is out of reach. As working people struggle, the top one percent accrues more wealth and more power. Republicans in Congress have chosen gridlock and dysfunction over trying to find solutions to the real challenges we face. It’s no wonder that so many feel like the system is rigged against them.
Democrats believe that cooperation is better than conflict, unity is better than division, empowerment is better than resentment, and bridges are better than walls.
It’s a simple but powerful idea: we are stronger together. (Source – 2016 Democratic Platform PDF)
- Fascist – Peace Through Strength
- Realign World order where the two strongest fascist powers control the world through a partnership with Russia
- Repeal Obamacare Immediately. Eliminate Entitlements immediately – Entitlements and Obamacare make poor people poorer because it takes away their incentive to work.
- Eliminate Taxes and regulations on Business and rich folks because that is the best way to trickle down benefits to those not rich and not a business owner.
- Repeal Obamacare and Let the Poor get little or no healthcare
- Small Federal Government but Large State/ Local Government.
- Make Poor people work harder for what they get – That’s the only way to help them.
- OK with Russia Interfering in our Elections because it helps the GOP.
- Pledge to Support the National GOP before supporting the Georgia 6th District.
- OK with the world wide shift to the Right because it seems good for Business.
- Wants to “deconstruct the administrative Federal State” but “Build up the Administrative State and Local Governments.”
- Cut all regulations independent of what they do.
- Anti-Trump’s Anti-American Policies
- Fix Obamacare
- Lower Prescription Drug Prices
- Keep Pre-existing Conditions
- Pro Equality of Opportunity
- Make Education Better and More Affordable
- Lower Student Loan Interest Rates
- Pro Women’s Access to Healthcare
- Defend Planned Parenthood
- Support Families Right to Choose
- Support access to Birth Control for as many as possible